This is a wrap up of special moments since the commencement of Suzy Goes See in April 2013. A personal selection from over 100 productions seen in Sydney. Thank you to artists, companies, publicists and punters who have supported Suzy Goes See in 2013. I cannot wait for more shenanigans with you in the new year!
Update: Click here for the Best Of 2014 list.
♥ Avant Garde Angels
The bravest and most creative experimental works in 2013.
- Coffee & Sheep by Kiruna Stamell
- The Light Box by Fat Boy Dancing and Unhappen
- The Twelfth Dawn by Old 505 Theatre
♥ Quirky Questers
The most unusual and colourful characters to appear on our stages in 2013.
- Asphyxia in Inspiration Porn
- Darcy Brown in Fireface
- Kenzie Larsen in Friend Ship
- Rowan McDonald in Decadence
- Kelly Young in Oh! My Shattered Illusions
♥ Design Doyennes
Outstanding visual design in 2013. Fabulous lights, sets and costumes.
- Empire: Terror On The High Seas by Tamarama Rock Surfers
- The Importance Of Being Earnest by Burley Theatre
- The Maids by Sydney Theatre Company
- Penelope by Siren Theatre Co
♥ Darlings Of Dance
Breathtaking brilliance in the dance space of 2013.
- Shaun Parker, choreographer for Happy As Larry
- Luke Smiles, composer for G and Double Think
- Vivienne Wong (dancer with The Australian Ballet), in Bodytorque.Technique and La Sylphide
♥ Musical Marvels
Outstanding performers in cabaret and musicals in 2013.
- Elena Gabrielle in The Sexual Awakening Of Virginia Poppycock
- Michael Falzon in Atomic
- Matt Hetherington in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
- Amy Lehpamer in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
♥ Second Fiddle Superstars
Scene-stealers of 2013 in supporting roles.
- Tom Christophersen in The Light Box
- Elizabeth Debicki in The Maids
- Anthony Gooley in All My Sons
- Ewen Leslie in Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead
- Nathan Lovejoy in Empire: Terror On The High Seas
♥ Champs Of Comedy
The cleverest, sharpest, and funniest performances of 2013.
- Lisa Chappell in Fred and On/Off
- Steve Corner in Sure Thing
- Ensemble in Delectable Shelter
- Alice Livingstone in Hay Fever
- Richard Roxburgh in Waiting For Godot
- Johann Walraven in Dying For It
♥ Daredevils Of Drama
Bold and excellent acting in dramatic roles in 2013.
- Colin Friels in Moving Parts
- Lynden Jones in The Maintenance Room
- Jake Lyall in Cowboy Mouth
- Toni Scanlon in All My Sons
- Toby Schmitz in Hamlet
- Helen Thomson in Mrs Warren’s Profession
♥ Wise With Words
The most interesting and intelligent scripts of 2013.
- Small And Tired and Wolf by Kit Brookman
- Vere (Faith) by John Doyle
- Cristina In The Cupboard by Paul Gilchrist
- A Sign Of The Times by Stephen Helper
- Fury by Joanna Murray-Smith
♥ Directorial Dominance
The most impressive work in direction for 2013.
- Leticia Cáceres for Miss Julie
- Jonathan Dunk for Skazka: Told By Night
- Iain Sinclair for All My Sons
- Andrew Upton for Fury and Waiting For Godot
- Scott Witt for On/Off
♥ Shows Of The Year
Nice coincidence to have different genres represented: drama, musical, dance, comedy and cabaret.
- All My Sons by Darlinghurst Theatre
- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels by James Anthony Productions
- Double Think by Force Majeure
- Jane Austen Is Dead by Brave Theatre
- On/Off by Lisa Chappell
♥ Suzy’s Special Soft Spot
For an exceptional work I saw in Melbourne.
- My Life In The Nude by Maude Davey
Best of 2018 | Best of 2017 | Best of 2016 | Best of 2015 | Best Of 2014