2014 has been a busy year. Choosing memorable moments from the 194 shows I had reviewed in these 12 months is a mind-bending exercise, but a wonderful opportunity that shows just how amazing and vibrant, theatre people are in Sydney. Thank you to artists, companies, publicists and punters who continue to support Suzy Goes See. Have a lovely holiday season and a happy new year! Now on to the Best Of 2014 list (all in random order)…
♥ Avant Garde Angels
The bravest and most creatively experimental works in 2014.
- Tell Me Again (The Old 505 Theatre / Eye Of The Storm)
- Fragments Of I Am (The Nest)
- Oedipus Rex (Belvoir St Theatre)
- Cain And Abel (Belvoir St Theatre / The Rabble)
- Six Characters In Search Of An Author (Sydney University Dramatic Society)
♥ Quirky Questers
The most unusual and colourful characters to appear on our stages in 2014.
- Renelle Loretta Jones in Sink Or Swim (Short+ Sweet Dance)
- Anne Wilson in Pastor Dorcas (Short+ Sweet Cabaret)
- Ford Sarhan in Love Song
- Karli Evans and Karena Thomas in This Is My Box
- The Chorus in Phaedra
♥ Design Doyennes
Outstanding visual design in 2014. Fabulous lights, sets and costumes.
- All’s Well That Ends Well (Sport For Jove Theatre)
- Manon (The Australian Ballet)
- The God Of Hell (Mophead Productions)
- Strictly Ballroom (Bazmark Productions)
- Benjamin Brockman, lighting designer for more than a few independent productions
♥ Darlings Of Dance
Breathtaking brilliance in the dance space of 2014.
- Shaun Parker, choreographer for Am I and Rika’s Story
- Stephen Colyer, choreographer and director for Falsettos
- Mau, company for Stones In Her Mouth
♥ Musical Marvels
Outstanding performers in cabaret and musicals in 2014.
- Katrina Retallick in Falsettos and Ruthless!
- Tamlyn Henderson in Falsettos
- Diana Perini in Privates On Parade
- Martin Crewes in Sweet Charity
- Andrew Worboys in Love, Death And An American Guitar, Sweet Charity and Truth, Beauty And A Picture Of You
♥ Second Fiddle Superstars
Scene-stealers of 2014 in supporting roles.
- Brett O’Neill in The Drowsy Chaperone
- Eryn Jean Norvill in The Government Inspector
- Nigel Turner-Carroll in The Motherfucker With The Hat and Thank You For Being A Friend
- Jeremy Waters in Scenes From An Execution and Lobby Hero
- Dorian Nkono in Lobby Hero and Blue/Orange
♥ Ensemble Excellence
Casts in 2014 rich with chemistry and talent.
♥ Champs Of Comedy
Best comedic performances of 2014.
- Paige Gardiner in Mr Kolpert and The Young Tycoons
- Helen Thomson in Children Of The Sun
- Jay James-Moody, star and director of The Drowsy Chaperone
- Aaron Glenane of Gruesome Playground Injuries
- Robin Goldsworthy in Twelfth Night
- David Woodland in Wittenberg, Wolf Lullaby and Heaven Help Us
♥ Daredevils Of Drama
Best actors in dramatic roles in 2014.
- Brendan Cowell in Once In Royal David’s City
- Sarah Peirse in Switzerland
- Andrew Henry in Howie The Rookie
- Peter Carroll in Oedipus Rex
- Hunter Page-Lochard in Brothers Wreck
- Lucy Miller in Scenes From An Execution and Sweeney Todd
♥ Wise With Words
Best new scripts of 2014.
- Kryptonite by Sue Smith
- Switzerland by Joanna Murray-Smith
- Once In Royal David’s City by Michael Gow
- Unholy Ghosts by Campion Decent
- The Boat People by Benedict Hardie
- Bad Day Insurance by Lisa Chappell
♥ Directorial Dominance
Best direction in 2014.
- Damien Ryan for Twelfth Night, All’s Well That Ends Well and Henry V
- Anna Crawford for Dark Voyager and Blue/Orange
- James Dalton for Mr Kolpert and Cough
- Anthony Skuse for Stop Kiss, Bite Me, Constellations and On The Shore Of The Wide World
- Sarah Giles for Perplex
♥ Shows Of The Year
The mighty Top 10.
- Children Of The Sun (Sydney Theatre Company)
- Perplex (Sydney Theatre Company)
- Falsettos (Darlinghurst Theatre Company)
- Gruesome Playground Injuries (The Kings Collective)
- Oedipus Rex (Belvoir Street Theatre)
- Scenes From An Execution (Tooth and Sinew / SITCO)
- Am I (Shaun Parker & Co)
- Mr Kolpert (Pantsguys / ATYP)
- Dark Voyager (Ensemble Theatre)
- Ruthless! (The Theatre Division)
♥ Suzy’s Special Soft Spot
A special mention for the diversity of cultures that have featured in its programming this year.
Best of 2018 | Best of 2017 | Best of 2016 | Best of 2015 | Best Of 2013